Monday, July 11, 2011

I'm A 46 Year Old Runaway


So, I ran away last night.  Yup, got dressed, grabbed my car keys and took off.  I was at my wits end with all kinds of garbage going on in my life.  I'm sure you know what I mean or can relate and if you don't, heaven love ya!

I'd go into detailed details but those things are for a different blog post than what I have in mind today.  It is not the issues that made me runaway in the first place I want to talk about but rather the outcome.  With that said; I am in my car just driving.  No clue where I am headed and mulling over in my muddled brain where I want to go all while my Rob Zombie CD is blaring in my ears.

I thought of one friend but knew if I went there I'd probably of drowned my sorrows in a bottle of Jack Daniels and I didn't feel that was a good solution so bypassed that, then I thought of another place but that friend the poor girl is going through her own serious issues and I didn't want to add to her already stressed out life and next thing I knew, I was in my oldest nieces driveway.  I literally sat there for a moment even wondering how I got there and that's a scary thought in itself.  We don't live far apart from each other but when you don't remember getting there you know you probably shouldn't have been driving in the first place.

My niece Joy is 21 with a fiance and 15 month old baby of her own.  Her life is no thorn free bed of roses either and they have their own problems just like everyone else.  I am not the type to just show up without calling but in my stormy mood I walked off without my cell phone and like I said I wasn't even sure how I got there in the first place.  It's the cars fault it drove me there HA.  Needless to say, she was pretty shocked I just showed up out of the blue, that was pretty out of character for me but she welcomed me with open arms and a big smile.

Joy put on a pot of coffee for us, we played with the baby who I might add has a smile just like his mama's that knocks your socks off and already I was feeling my tension just ease away.  Next thing we knew it was 2 o'clock in the morning.  The baby long since in bed and Alex (my nieces fiance) was sitting on the couch shaking his head at the two cackling hens in the kitchen yack yacking away non stop.

 Yes, this was us lol

So, here we were, two females ages 21 and 46 just pouring our hearts out about our lives, the good, bad and the ugly, some tears were shed but more laughter than anything and I felt the close bond we had become even closer. 

I was seeing Joy in a whole different light.  She wasn't just that cute little girl I drug to the beauty salon when she was little to get that goldeylocks hair-do she hated so much, or the one of many times I had to scold for being naughty for fighting with her sister or cousin all the while trying not to laugh at her with that pouty little face (which by the way she still has and it still can melt my heart) she is a beautiful grown woman with her own baby, her own life and struggles and I realized just how proud of her I was at that very moment.  It was her and her wee family that mended my broken heart last night and I don't think they even know the true impact they all had on me. 

What's the moral of this story?

They say running away never fixes your problems and your problems just follow you.  Well, yes, in retrospect that is correct.  However, in regards to last night and me running away it did fix some things even if only temporary.  It gave me the means to be able to deal with my issues just a little bit better.  Sometimes you just have to walk away from what is bothering you before it eats away at you and most important before you do or say something you regret to another.  

I am a full believer of a "cooling down" period.  It is better to walk or in my case last night, run away to get my bearings.  I am much more relaxed today and able to take on my world yet another day.

So, I guess you can say, I'm a 46 year old runaway.  Can you relate?  Tell me about it, sometimes talking to a total stranger works well too.   

Thanks for stopping by today,






Live Life, Laugh Hard and Love Passionately

2 comments:

  1. Hi! Stopping by from MBC. I love,love, love your blog!
    Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had similar experiences in my past, would drive to my sister's house and sit down and pour out everything to her...she would just sit and listen and listen and listen...and I would feel a bit better and go back home to my life again. We all need someone in our life who will listen. I hope all is going much better for you Jamie. Hugs across the miles!

    ReplyDelete